So the other day I thought to myself, “Self, you need an X-wing”. Well my mind wasnt wrong, I have never owned an x-wing from any release of the toy line. In fact the only ship I ever got was the Snow speeder from the Empire strikes back(I still own it and it works great!). After reading about all of the new toys I decided it was time to spend some money and I have a six year old boy who agreed with me completely. For a complete list of toys check out this link .
Part 1 – Poe’s X-wing Fighter w/ Poe Dameron
First up is the Box art which is amazing on all of the new toys, features a very cool painted battle scene, its very eye catching. The X-wing itself is very simple and has a nose cone and laser cannons that are designed to come off the craft if it takes “Damage” (i.e. the boy drops it or smashes into something).
- A very nice redesign of the classic X-wing with the new BB-8 astromech behind the pilot
- Cool new paint scheme, although having it look like the x-wings in the trailer would have made more sense.
- They use the same mechanism to open and close the x-foil wings as previous versions
- Poe Dameron comes with a removable helmet and side arm which fits nicely into a hip holster.
- It has a fire-able missile on the bottom of the fuselage – Good range!
- The X-wing has no sound effects
- It took us a while to get the canopy closed while Poe had his flight helmet on, but if you move his legs further down it will close. The figure fits very snug in the cockpit( i didnt mind but my son got mad a few times because he couldnt remove him from the x-wing.
- I wish the front landing pad was spring loaded like the old school snow speeder. This one has a simple pull down model.
Rodney – 3.5 out of 5
This is a solid fun toy, but it does have a few drawbacks from a 42 year old mans point of view. I would have like to see some electronic sounds, spring loaded front landing gear and a few more stickers for the body. At $49.99 you dont get much for the price, that being said, if you can get it for $40 buy it.
My son – 4 out of 5
He doesnt like the sculpt of Poe’s face “hes got an ugly face and the guns are all bent. They wont shoot straight!” But other than that he loves his X-wing!